Abendempfindung: For Kathy

>> Sunday, February 21, 2010

 

In memory of Aunt Ethel.



Evening it is; the sun has vanished,
And the moon streams with silver rays;
Thus flee Life's fairest hours,
Flying away as if in a dance.

Soon away will fly Life's colorful scenes,
And the curtain will come rolling down;
Done is our play, the tears of a friend
Flow already over our grave.

Soon, perhaps (the thought gently arrives like the west wind -
A quiet foreboding)
I will part from life's pilgrimage,
And fly to the land of rest.

If you will then weep over my grave,
Gaze mournfully upon my ashes,
Then, o Friends, I will appear
And waft you all heavenward.

And You [my beloved], bestow also a little tear on me,
And pluck me a violet for my grave,
And with your soulful gaze,
Look then gently down on me.

Consecrate a tear for me, and ah!
Do not be ashamed to cry;
Those tears will be in my diadem
then: the fairest pearls!
 
 

1 comments:

Kathy Handyside February 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

This is so beautiful, Nettl. Thank you. And I know my Aunt Ethel is touched by this, too.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP