The Queen of Rock

>> Saturday, January 12, 2008


Say the name, Freddie Mercury, and most people know immediately who you mean. Out of the closet, when being "out" wasn't cool, Freddie Mercury, and his band, "Queen" were the beginnings of the gay revolution in Rock & Roll. Unapologetically homosexual, Freddie Mercury refused to be held back by the dictates of an industry which said that it was okay to be gay, just don't talk about it. Instead, his music was a celebration of who he was and began the push towards the acceptance of homosexuals in the industry as well as society in general. Tragically, the world lost this great talent in 1991 to AIDS related pneumonia.

When I was a teenager, I heard Queen for the first time at a friend's house. My parents didn't allow "such music" in our home, so I had never really been exposed to them, but once I was exposed, I was hooked. Their Bohemian Rhapsody has always been my favorite, as it is really a mini rock opera and contains many classical elements of music.

2 comments:

Anonymous January 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

Oh, yes! "Bohemian Rhapsody" is definitely great! Always been my favorite Queen piece.

Lynette January 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

By far my favorite, although everyone seems to be partial to "We Will Rock You". I like that one too, but there is a sophistication to "Bohemian Rhapsody" that you just don't hear in Rock music every day.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP