I'm hooked!

>> Saturday, May 10, 2008



I'm nearly 48 years old, overweight, and in the throes of menopause. About a month ago I went to bed feeling like crap. It hit me all of the sudden, I mean menopause. One day I felt pretty good, aside from being overweight and out of shape. But considering, I felt good. Then it seemed the very next day it hit me with a vengeance--every symptom of menopause that could hit--fatigue, memory loss, irritability, debilitating hot flashes, horrible burning and tingling in my hands and feet, lack of energy or motivation, depression... You name it, I had it. It scared me and I made the decision then and there that I was too young to feel old and that I HAD to do something about it. So I immediately changed my diet, went out and bought a menopause supplement at GNC and then I went to the gym where the company where I work has a corporate membership and signed up with a trainer and started a rigorous weight training and work-out routine. Within a week the hot flashes diminished, the tingling in my hands and feet virtually disappeared, and within two weeks the fatigue and lack of energy & motivation disappeared. I went to the doctor this last Tuesday with a mild sinus/bronchial infection and when I weighed in it indicated that I have already lost nine pounds, and my blood pressure, which had been soaring out of control over the last year, (even on medication), was down to 118/82, which is ideal! This all after only THREE WEEKS! I've worked up from 10 minutes to nearly an hour on the treadmill and over doubled my pace. I've already increased my weight limits on some of my exercise machines, and what's so wonderful is that I FEEL GREAT! It's amazing how quickly the body will begin to respond and heal itself once you start treating it well and giving it what it needs.

I did it. I just quit making excuses, kicked myself in the butt, and did it. Now I'm hooked on feeling great. No more "Chicken Fat" for me!

6 comments:

Kathy Handyside May 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

Funny - this is what I've started doing to: working out at the local YMCA. I'm up to 13 minutes on the elliptical trainer (doesn't sound like much, but that machine is a killer!) and I do 9 different weight stations and have increased my sets and weights. It does feel great. Boy! Some of the elementary school groups look like mine! Why is it that kids looked like the offspring of refugees back then??

Kathy Handyside May 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

Forgot to tell you "congratulations"! What you're doing isn't easy and it's great you've accomplished so much. Good for you, Nettl!

Monte Erwin May 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Keep it up, Lynette! I've been working out consistently at the Y since we've been in Birmingham, and I feel great and am in the best shape I've been in maybe in all my life. Nothing like turning fat into muscle.

Lynette May 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

Thanks guys! I WILL keep it up! I'd be crazy not to. Only three weeks ago, I felt awful. Now I feel really good and am looking forward to feeling great.

Kaye Waller May 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM  

Yeah, those class pictures look just like mine. We were all dorks back then.

I kept waiting for pictures of modern day classes to show up as a comparison. Did you notice that not one kid in all those pictures was obese? I really hated mandatory P.E., but it was good for us.

Kathy Handyside May 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

You're right Steph! Not only did we have mandatory PE, but recess where we ran around and played games for an entire hour. Jump rope and tag - constant movement. And we ate the healthy lunches our moms packed for us - there were no vending machines in the schools then.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP