I think I'm in love: Mozart violin sonata, K. 303

>> Saturday, August 29, 2009


I've fallen in love all over again. And although the object of my affection still has a large, prominent nose and wears a red coat and a powdered wig, I've made some new discoveries. Several weeks ago I posted Mozart's violin sonata, K. 304. Today I'm posting K. 303, and am every bit as enamored with this one as I was that one. Listen and fall in love, too.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Sonata for Piano and Violin K303 Gil Shaham, Violin, Orli Shaha, Piano.




4 comments:

Kathy Handyside August 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM  

I loved these the very first time I heard them. They are definitely my favorite Mozart pieces. Do you know why they're called "violin sonatas" and not "violin and piano sonatas"? The piano and the violin are certainly equal partners in these pieces. Just curious.

Lynette August 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Kathy, I've seen them called both, and I completely agree--they should be called "piano & violin" sonatas because the piano certainly does have an equal role. I think the recording I have lists them as "piano & violin".

Unknown August 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

Hi Lynette,

I managed to listen to the first part yesterday and have popped back for the second now! Lovely music indeed.

Kathy Handyside August 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

And didn't Mozart himself, in a letter to his father, talk about composing some "violin sonatas" because he had heard some by some other composer which used violin and piano? I seem to remember a letter like that. Well, whatever name they're known by, I will always know them as "beautiful"!

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP