Must the Winter Come So Soon? from Vanessa by Samuel Barber

>> Tuesday, January 5, 2010


Here in my part of the U.S. we're not used to long, hard winters. Generally the temperatures are mild, with an occasional cold snap, usually lasting only a few days at a time. However, this year we are experiencing something quite different. Since just before Christmas, temperatures have dropped well below freezing and on Christmas Eve day we had close to twelve inches of snow dumped on us in a white-out blizzard. I've known winters like this, only then I was living in Montana where it was commonplace. All I can say is thank goodness for hot tea, warm woolly stockings, warm flannel nighties, and my soft "warm nothing" blanket.

One of my favorite singers of all time, Frederica von Stade, laments the coming of winter in "Must the Winter Come So Soon?" from Samuel Barber's Vanessa.  This is a 1992 recording from the Metropolitan Opera's Richard Tucker Gala. Members of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Conductor: James Conlon 



2 comments:

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Hi Lynette and a very Happy New Year to you!

I don't know 'Vanessa' or this song; very melancholy but beautifully sung. Hope your Winter doesn't last too long.

Lynette January 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

Hi Derrick! Ah! But this is a lovely little aria. I sang it when I was an undergraduate and it rested very well in my voice. It should have been a clue to my voice instructor that I was going to grow into a mezzo-soprano.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP