In the mood for Chili!

>> Thursday, October 11, 2007


It's mid October and the temperatures are dropping so I decided to cook the first pot of chili of the season! YUM!

Chili is one of those comfort foods that most everyone loves, and every cook has her/his own way of making it. Of course, growing up in Oklahoma, the only chili that I have ever known is TexMex style with dark red kidney beans, lots of beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, chili powder, and just the right seasonings. I don't like mine too spicy--just warm enough to allow it to linger until the next bite. (And yes, I've had that crap that they call "chili" in Cincinnati. That's NOT chili. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's certainly not chili. It's more like a weird, thin, sweet, spaghetti sauce seasoned with cinnamon, cloves, cocoa, and allspice. Bleeeech!) I like to serve my chili with cornbread, Fritos, or tortilla chips, and top it with lots of cheese.

As I type this, I can smell the tantalizing aromas as my chili simmers on the stove downstairs... I wish it was tomorrow night already!

7 comments:

Anonymous October 12, 2007 at 9:52 AM  

Please can I have your recipe? I've been looking for a good chili recipe. Do you use stew beef in yours? Thanks!

Lynette October 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM  

I used to use stew beef, but now I use a combination of ground beef and round steak.

Here's my basic recipe--you can modify it any way you like:

(remember that I usually cook chili for an army, so you can cut this recipe in half if you need to)

2 lbs ground beef (don't use the lean kind--use the most fat kind and drain the fat after browning)

2 lbs of thinly sliced round steak

1 packet of Williams Chili seasoning (or whatever you have available to you)

Approx. 4 to 5 green onions, chopped

2 large cloves garlic, peeled & chopped

2 regular cans tomato sauce

2 cans dark red kidney beans

2 cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes

1 Tbls Worstershire sauce

1/2 to 3/4 bottle of chili sauce

1/2 Tbls cumin

1 Tbls chili powder

1 Tbls oregano


Brown ground beef in skillet, drain fat. Cut round steak in small cubes and brown with green onions. Combine ground beef with round steak in a large stock pot and add dry ingredients. Stir well, coating the meat with dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to low. Simmer for two hours. Chili is best if cooked the day before and allowed to rest over night.

Lynette October 12, 2007 at 11:35 AM  

I forgot to add salt to taste!

Monte Erwin October 12, 2007 at 6:26 PM  

Comin' for supper! Me and Trent are bachen' it 'til Sunday night. See you then! Ha!

Lynette October 12, 2007 at 9:44 PM  

You're welcome anytime! :D

Monte Erwin October 13, 2007 at 3:58 PM  

You inspired me. I'm gonna make chili tonight.

Anonymous October 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM  

Ohh, thank you - it sounds so yummy! I'm going to make it this weekend.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP