Music vs. Muzak

>> Tuesday, October 9, 2007


I have to admit that for the first time I have ever been a part of the Chamber Singers, I’m actually not looking forward to an upcoming concert. On November 5th we will present a concert in conjunction with the high school, junior high, and Stillwater Honor choirs in commemoration of Oklahoma’s centennial of statehood. It will feature the music of several Oklahoma composers, as well as “inspirational” music in celebration of the state of Oklahoma, but to be quite honest, it leaves me flat.

Last week, during a break in rehearsal, I questioned out loud, “Does anyone else feel like we’re getting ready to give a performance at Disneyland?” Most of the music sounds like that 1970’s “Up With People” kind of choral “muzak”, or the contemporary Christian “Sandi Patti” inspirational crap that ascends through a thousand key signatures in the last ten measures and ends on a bright and resounding F-major chord with the sopranos screeching on high C—the overly sentimental stuff that emotes tears in the eyes of the audience and sends them leaping to their feet in wild applause at the end of the concert. It’ll be one that the audience will enjoy immensely.

Go ahead, call me a snob, because I already know that I am. I’ve worked long and hard, (not to mention invested tens of thousands of dollars in formal training), at this music thing and I don’t have too many more years to sing while I’m in my prime so I don’t like spending it on music that neither challenges or inspires me.

I know, I know. This isn’t about me, it’s about giving something to my community. That’s why I’m participating in it. I just had to have my bitch session about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous October 9, 2007 at 12:52 PM  

Oh, God - Up With People! Blechhhh! I know what you mean - I always dreaded our obligatory "patriotic" concerts in high school band. Nothing but sound, without depth or meaning.

Lynette October 9, 2007 at 1:28 PM  

No shit, Kathy. Oh well...we'll get this one over with and get going on our Christmas concert, which is always a nice one...

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP