My favorite Mozart soprano sings Bach

>> Saturday, September 19, 2009

It wasn't until nearly five years after her death of a malignant brain tumor that I discovered this incredible soprano, Arleen Auger, however, since then I've listened to a number of her recordings and she is by far and away my favorite Mozart soprano.  I own two recordings of her, 1) Singing the Mozart Mass in C minor and on the same recording, the Mozart Exultate Jubilate, and  2) her last public performance, singing the soprano solo in Mozart's Requiem at St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna on the 200th anniversary of Mozart's death, December 5th, 1991.

The recording I have posted here, isn't of Auger singing Mozart, but of her singing Bach's "Bist du bei mir".  Never have I heard such grace, warmth, and elegance combined in one voice as in Auger's. 


0 comments:

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP