The Scrooge of my youth

>> Saturday, December 22, 2007

This 1970 musical adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, entitled simply, Scrooge!, starring the brilliant Albert Finney as Ebenezer Scrooge, and the incomparable Sir Alec Guiness as Jacob Marley, is on my list of very favorites. (In fact, I'm not sure which is my very favorite, this one or the 1999 Patrick Stewart version.)

This adaptation is the Scrooge of my youth, as I was ten years old when it was released, and is the first version of the play that I ever saw. My brother and I grew up watching it on television, as it was played every year during the Christmas season during the 1970's. Both of us were into musicals, and this one had a distinct similarity to the 1968 musical adaptation of Dickens' Oliver Twist, entitled simply, Oliver!. Monte and I loved both films, and to this day, if I can catch this version of A Christmas Carol on television, I watch it.

I am posting two clips from this film because I want you to see not only the amazing performances of both Finney and Sir Alec Guiness, but one of the beautifully coreographed musical production numbers as well. I hope you enjoy them enough that if you've not had the joy of seeing this film, you'll go out and rent the DVD and watch it.







2 comments:

Anonymous December 22, 2007 at 7:00 PM  

Love that one. We had it on video while we were in Latvia and it's still a Christmas favorite. The boys used to run out of the room and hide behind the door when Marley came on. They had to peek, though, and would come back into the room afterwards. They also loved for me to dress up as Marley and chase them through the house at Halloween.

BTW--we are in Springfield, VT spending Christmas this year. There is a foot-and-a-half of snow outside. It's beautiful up here. Got into Boston last night, rented a car and drove up here getting in just after midnight. We had a fun day. We're staying at a Christmas Tree farm where they grow Frazer Firs. We bought one today and went and cut it. We'll decorate it tomorrow evening. We're already having a blast. Badly needed time away as a family.

Lynette December 22, 2007 at 11:05 PM  

That sounds WONDERFUL! I'm so glad you are having this time together in such a beautiful place.

Steph and I are here with Heather, Nathan, Joel & Micah and really enjoying the time together. Today we did all of our holiday baking and everyone, including the guys helped. We put Christmas music on, broke out some snacks and ordered pizza for dinner. We took a break for a couple of hours to watch some of our favorite Christmas movies, and then went back downstairs to finish up all the baking.

Tomorrow I sing at St. Andrew's Episcopal in the morning service and then we're all going to Tulsa to have dinner with Dad and Mary. Then on Christmas Eve we'll open gifts and then Steph and I will go to St. Andrew's for Christmas Eve Mass, where I'm singing again.

Today it snowed here in Stillwater, so that really put everyone in the Christmas mood. Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny and warm so that will be good for our trip to
Tulsa.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP