The World's most beautiful music: Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, Adagio

>> Sunday, August 31, 2008


Three years ago today, Steph and I were being filmed in around various places in Vienna--atop of one of the spires of St. Stephan's, inside the apartment where Mozart lived when he composed, "Le Nozze di Figaro", in the building where Mozart lived when he died, (which is now a department store), and finally at the place which once was the front of the customs house near the Karinthian Gate where he and Anna Storace bid one another a tearful good-bye as she prepared for her return trip to her home in London.

Today I feature the Adagio movement from Mozart's Clarinet concerto, composed in the summer of 1791, only months before his death in early December of that same year. Some claim it to be one of Mozart's most beautiful compositions. Listen for yourself and decide. Featured is Andrew Mariner, clarinet, and the London Symphony Orchestra.

2 comments:

Kathy Handyside August 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

I was first introduced to Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in high school by my clarinet teacher. I was trying to find a piece for Solo and Ensemble festival and she put on a recording of the concerto, performed by Robert Marcellus and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (I think it was the CSO). I was swept away! There is no other way to put it. I simply HAD to play this! Due to time limitartions at the Solo and Ensemble Festival, I only performed the final movement. But it earned me a first rating and I went on to state competition with it and earned a second rating medal (which looks kind of like an Olympic medal - and I really felt I'd won an Olympic medal!). Thanks Mozart!!

Lynette September 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

This one has always been one of my favorites. But then again, I say that about most everything by Mozart. :P

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP