A star is born!

>> Thursday, April 16, 2009


Last night Steph and I watched "Great Performances" on PBS, an October, 2008 performance of Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor at the Metropolitan Opera featuring a young Polish tenor by the name of Piotr Beczala. It seems that the tenor who was scheduled to sing the role of Edgardo became suddenly ill and was unable to go on stage. Beczala, who was already known throughout Europe as a fine Mozart tenor, happened to be in the audience that evening and so they pulled him out and put him on stage for the performance. The Met audience went wild for him and thus a new tenor star appeared in the sky.

I've chosen to feature him in a 2006 Salzburg Festival recording of Mozart's Don Giovanni, singing a personal favorite of mine, Dalla sua pace. This guy is absolutely amazing.



P.S. Here's the link to the finale of Lucia di Lammermoor featuring Beczala as Edgardo. I chose not to use this one because it isn't a live performance, but it is wonderful, and definitely worth a listen.

2 comments:

Kay Dennison April 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

Simply exquisite!!!!

Merisi April 23, 2009 at 2:57 AM  

Dear Lynette,
thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog!
I enjoyed the poem by Mozart immensely. Imagine, I did not know about it at all!
And yes, wisteria is blooming all over Austria, and profusely so. I also remember fondly the wisteria of the American South. My favorite memory is of the springtimes I spent on Jekyll Island, Georgia. We used to drive over the old drawbridge into Brunswick for lunch and coffee and a stroll through the Civil War area cemetery and the old quiet streets, with wisteria growing everywhere, even on telephone poles and the like.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP