Songs of Love: The jilted lover: Mozart, Dans un bois solitaire

>> Friday, February 6, 2009


Imagine walking in a forest and you happen upon cupid. You awaken him and he becomes angry with you for doing so and shoots you in the heart with one of his arrows. This is the premise of this lovely little chanson composed by the young Mozart just after his return home from Paris, (who was madly in love with Aloysia Weber who had recently jilted him). It's one of only two works by Mozart using a French text.

Sung here by soprano Julia Varady.

In a lonely and sombre forest
I walked the other day;
A child slept in the shade,
It was a veritable Cupid.

I approach; his beauty fascinates me.
But I must be careful:
He has the traits of the faithless maiden
Whom I had sworn to forget.

He had lips of ruby,
His complexion was also fresh like hers.
A sigh escapes me and he awakes;
Cupid wakes at nothing.

Immediately opening his wings and seizing
His vengeful bow
And one of his cruel arrows as he parts,
He wounds me to the heart.

"Go!" he says, "Go! At Sylvie's feet
Will you languish anew!
You shall love her all your life,
For having dared awaken me."


1 comments:

mati February 7, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

what a gift to find your lovely blog - the music is sublime! merci du midi.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP