The World's most beautiful music: Puccini, Nessun Dorma from Turandot

>> Tuesday, February 17, 2009


Probably one of the most memorable and beloved of all of Puccini's arias is the magnificent and hauntingly beautiful Nessun Dorma from Turandot. And who else could sing it like the incomparable Pavarotti? This 1980 Lincoln Center performance still moves me to tears every time I listen to it.




Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!



2 comments:

Tess Kincaid February 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

This is one of my faves!!! (my cell ring tone is the Pav singing this)

Kay Dennison February 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

My favorite aria! Although I do like Placido Domingo's version better. And have you heard Aretha sing it? It really amazed me!

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP