Gender Bending Through the Ages: A girl, a boy, a girl again

>> Thursday, January 15, 2009




One of my favorite scenes in Le Nozze di Figaro is when Susanna dresses Cherubino as a girl, and makes fun of him the entire time. Absolutely charming.

Come, kneel down,
Stay still there,
Now turn around very slowly,
Bravo, that's just right!
Now turn your face toward me,
Hey! keep your eyes on me,
Right here, look at me!
Madame isn't here.
That neckline higher,
That hem a little lower,
Your hands below your chest,
We'll see how you walk afterwards,
When you're on your feet.
Look at the little rascal,
Look how beautiful he is,
What a clever look,
What charm, what a figure!
If women love him,
They certainly have their reasons.


Susanna's aria in act two with Dawn Upshaw.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP