The Countdown Begins

>> Monday, August 13, 2007

Today marks the beginning of the last work week before Lauren departs for France. For those who are not aware, my oldest daughter is going to France, (Brittany to be exact), with Rotary International, for a year as a foreign exchange student. Lauren has been looking towards this for nearly two years now, and the time has nearly arrived.

As a mother, I look at this whole event with a mixture of emotions. Of course I share Lauren's intense excitement and mixed in that is tremendous pride for her achievements. But in there too, is a sense of sadness and loss. I won't see Lauren for nearly a year, and when she returns, she won't be the same. What is left now of the young girl will be but a memory, and in her place will be a young woman. Our home will feel empty without her, and when she does return, she will only be home a few weeks before she leaves again for college in Virginia.

I knew this time was coming, and now I can honestly say that there is nothing one can do to prepare for it. It's just one of those things that I must experience as it happens. I learn and grow with it. It's a new phase for all of us. In the meantime we will send her off with bright hopes and good wishes, knowing that she is taking the first steps towards her own life.

I love you, Sweetheart, and I'm so very proud.

3 comments:

Kay Dennison August 13, 2007 at 10:43 PM  

She is a really lovely young lady!

I know how I felt when my daughter left for the military. It was the end of an era. Now it's just phone calls and visits now and then. Sigh.
Growing up is hard on us moms! Kate will be 31 in September -- I'm trying to figure out how she got so damned old!

Lynette August 14, 2007 at 12:33 PM  

Thanks, Kay! She has surmounted a lot of odds against her and been through some tough times, but this kid isn't a quitter. I'm extremely proud of her.

Lauren August 14, 2007 at 7:36 PM  

Aww, Mom... You make me blush! ^_^

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP