Saturday Salieri: " Vi sono sposa e amante"

>> Saturday, June 13, 2009


Of course I had to include Mozart's "arch nemesis", Antonio Salieri. Actually he wasn't a nemesis at all. That was all a big myth propagated by the film, Amadeus. In truth, Salieri and Mozart were very good friends and respected one another tremendously. Of course there was some healthy rivalry at times, but in the highly competitive world in which they were associated, there was always some rivalry.

The following aria was composed in 1772 for the opera La fiera di Venezia, and is an example of some of Salieri's best and most challenging compositions. Sung marvelously here by Cecilia Bartoli.

6 comments:

Unknown June 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

What a wonderful blog! I'm so glad I was able to find you.

I wish that we had the same rivalries for the same type of music today.

Lynette June 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Welcome Anna! I'm glad you found me too! :)

W. A. Mozart June 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

Il mummia gommosa...

Tess Kincaid June 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Wow! Her coloratura is marvelous, isn't it? I like your little tidbits about Salieri. I really know nothing about him except for the film.

Lynette June 14, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

That's all most people know of Saleri, which is sad, because he gets a really bad rap from that film, (as does Mozart). Salieri was a good man, a fine composer and an even better teacher, and was loved by Vienna. He was the teacher to some of the world's greatest composers including Schubert and Beethoven, and was also the teacher of Mozart's youngest son, Franz.

Unknown June 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

Vocal gymnastics!

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP