Thursday Telemann: Concerto for Recorder and Viola da Gamba

>> Thursday, June 11, 2009


I had a hard time coming up with another "T" composer when all of a sudden Telemann popped into my thoughts! And this little concerto is quite charming, (I know you'll enjoy it, Kathy!).

Georg Philipp Telemann (March 14, 1681 – June 25, 1767) was a German Baroque music composer and multi-instrumentalist, born in Magdeburg. Self-taught in music, he studied law at the University of Leipzig. Often described as the most prolific composer in history (at least in terms of surviving oeuvre), he was a contemporary of Johann Sebastian Bach, Antonio Vivaldi and a lifelong friend of George Frideric Handel. While in the present day Bach is generally thought of as the greater composer, Telemann was more widely renowned for his musical abilities during his lifetime.

Telemann traveled widely, absorbing various musical styles and incorporating them into his own compositions. He is known for writing concertos for unusual combinations of instruments, such as multiple violas, trumpets, oboes, or harpsichords.

He held a series of important musical positions, culminating in that of music director of the five largest churches in Hamburg, from 1720 until his death in 1767.

Information source: Wikipedia



3 comments:

Unknown June 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Hi Lynette,

I have to admit that I can't listen to a lot of this, particularly recorder music (although I have listened to all 16 minutes!). But I do enjoy some Telemann

Lynette June 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

I can't deny that the Baroque period in music is my very favorite, (despite my favorite composer being of the late classical era), and my favorite composers of that era are Handel & Vivaldi. I do enjoy Telemann, but since he didn't compose any vocal works, I sometimes tend to overlook him.

Kathy Handyside June 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Thanks, Nettl! I love this piece! Telemann has always been one of my favorites. I so enjoyed hearing this.

Isn't that a wonderful pairing - the gamba and the recorder? They complement each other so well.

Funnily enough, I'd just ordered the sheet music for this. Now all I have to do is to find a gambist and I'm all set! haha

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP