The World's most beautiful music: Purcell: Rondeau from "Abdelazer"

>> Sunday, June 7, 2009


When I heard this used in the 2005 production of Pride & Prejudice starring Keira Knightly, I thought it was Bach. Silly me, for it wasn't until I started searching for it on YouTube that I found out that it was by Purcell, as the piece used in the soundtrack, (beautifully composed by Dario Marianelli), was entitled A Postcard to Henry Purcell.

Posted here are the original version by Purcell, and the dance sequence from Pride & Prejudice in which this piece was so beautifully incorporated.



4 comments:

Tess Kincaid June 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

I loved this music from P&P, but was not aware it was Purcell. It's gorgeous, majestic and haunting!

Kathy Handyside June 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

I love this piece. We played this in high school symphonic band. I have a recorder transcription of this, too, that sounds really neat.

Unknown June 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

I totally agree with you. I enjoyed both videos too!

Unknown June 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM  

Hi Lynette,

Quintessentially English music!!

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP