My other neglected composer: Beethoven: Piano Concerto no. 5 mvt 2

>> Monday, March 23, 2009


Yes, I admit it, I neglect Beethoven, but mostly because he composed very little for the voice. Of course I love his magnificent 9th Symphony--the Choral Symphony, and I love some of his more pastoral and sensitive works--but all in all, Beethoven can get a little too "bombastic" for my tastes. I much prefer the more consistent subtleties and sensitivities of Mozart.


With that said, however, there are several works by this brilliant composer that can stir those tender places in me that are reserved by and large for composers such as Mozart or Handel, and the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Piano Concerto no. 5 is just one of those. Beethoven greatly revered Mozart, and I fully imagine that this particular movement was Mozart inspired.

This particular performance is by the great Van Cliburn from 1962.

4 comments:

Tess Kincaid March 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

This piece makes me cry.

Kay Dennison March 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

It's one of my favorites!!!! And I love Van Cliburn!!!!

Lynette March 23, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

Yeah, Van Cliburn doesn't suck, that's for sure!

I could have chosen some much newer recordings, that were a lot clearer and sounded better, but none of them had Van Cliburn's touch. He's the master.

Kathy Handyside March 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

My favorite part of the movie "Immortal Beloved" is when this piece is playing. I love it.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP