The world's most beautiful music: Mozart: Ah, perdona al primo affetto

>> Wednesday, March 25, 2009


This is one of the most beautiful duets Mozart ever composed, from his next-to-last opera, La Clemenza Di Tito, an opera he, himself, was not particularly fond of, simply because the subject bored him, (old school Italian opera seria, which he had finished with as a very young man). This duet reveals a mature composer who knew how to evoke emotion.



The characters are Annio, (female trouser role), and Servilia.

Translation,(rough):

Excuse the feelings I just expressed that I really shouldn't have (ill-advised). They just slipped out because once (upon a time) that was how I spoke to you. ie it was the fault of my lips that were used to speaking to you like that in times past. (ie old habits/feelings die hard..).

1 comments:

Kathy Handyside March 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Ah, the melody...mmmm. I could listen to it all day and never get tired of it.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP