Dido's Lament from Purcell's "Dido & Aeneas"

>> Thursday, October 15, 2009


Act III   Dido and Belinda enter, shocked at Aeneas’ disappearance. Dido is distraught and Belinda comforts her. Suddenly Aeneas returns, but Dido is full of fear before Aeneas speaks, and his words only serve to confirm her suspicions. She derides his reasons for leaving, and even when Aeneas says he will defy the gods and not leave Carthage, Dido rejects him for having once thought of leaving her. After Dido forces Aeneas to leave, she states that "Death must come when he is gone." The opera and Dido's life both slowly come to a conclusion, as the Queen of Carthage sings her last aria, "When I am laid in Earth", also known as "Dido's Lament." The chorus and orchestra then conclude the opera once Dido is dead by ordering the "cupids to scatter roses on her tomb, soft and gentle as her heart. Keep here your watch, and never never never part."

Dido's lament from Purcell's Dido&Aeneas, by the mezzo Xenia Meijer. She teaches Singing in the conservatory of Tilburg, The Netherlands.  



4 comments:

Unknown October 15, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

Hi Lynette,

A new singer to me. She did well but it's hard to beat Dame Janet or Jessye! Very effective staging with her seeming to melt into the sand.

Lynette October 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

I really enjoy this interpretation of the aria, singer and all. For one, I prefer Meijer's more authentic performance practice, (since this was composed and performed originally for a girl's school), to the more stylized performances of Baker & Norman, (although I love the power in Norman's performance). But you have to understand that I'm coming from the perspective of one whose specialization is in the performance practice of the Baroque and Classical eras. :)

Kathy Handyside October 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Somber though it is, I've always loved this particular aria. I like this performance very much.

Lynette October 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Kathy,

This particular aria is one of the best in my repertoire. I have always loved it.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP