Hauntingly lovely: Pavane by Gabriel Fauré

>> Sunday, October 4, 2009


Between the gorgeous music by Gabriel Fauré and the riveting images of the Staglieno cemetery in Genoa, Italy, this video has become one of my very favorites on YouTube.  I go back to it often to reflect, to listen, to cry, to ponder.  It's a beautiful tribute to humanity's ever-constant struggle with death.

I thought it entirely appropriate for my "Thirty-one days of Halloween" series. If you watch it, you'll see why.







4 comments:

Tess Kincaid October 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

This piece reaches in, grabs my heart and gives it a squeeze.

Lynette October 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Willow: A perfect description of its effect.

Merisi October 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

Lynette, thank you for this gem, it has been one of my favorite pieces of music. I listen to it so often I worry I shall have to replace my CD soon (interestingly, my favorite version is on a Starbucks Christmas CD *how strange is that?*). I also love Fauré's Requiem. Two of my daughters once took part in a performance, I can still hear their voices singing "In Paradisum".

Lynette October 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Merisi: You're welcome. I adore this piece, as well as the Fauré Requiem. In fact, Fauré is my favorite Non-German composer. I performed the Requiem a couple of years ago with the Chamber Singers. My only regret was that I wasn't a baritone so that I could sing the Libera Me! (I'll be posting that one in this series as well--be looking for it.)

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP