The final breaths: Mozart's Masonic Funeral Music, K. 477

>> Monday, October 5, 2009


Unless you're an avid student of Mozart, you've probably never heard this piece nor did you know that it existed.  However, I would rank it as one of his best due to the tonal imagery that he used to create the sounds of death.  As you listen to the first bars you can actually hear the labored "breathing in and breathing out", followed by the final breath as the soul passes through the veil.  You will also hear his use of the trombones, an instrument that in Mozart's day was only used in funeral music and/or Requiem masses.



4 comments:

Mariana Soffer October 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Thank you very much for sharing this amazing music with us, I really apreciate it, I am starting to like classical music more and more as years goes by, and currently mozart is my favorite.

Cheers

Kathy Handyside October 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

But note how the piece ends on a major chord - I always feel like it's a great light shining, when I hear that ending.

Jasper October 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Breathtaking. But, I guess, that's literally the point.

There's actually a Wikipedia entry on this piece, with external link to a musical score.

Jasper October 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Breathtaking. But, I guess, that's literally the point.

There's actually a Wikipedia entry on this piece, with external link to a musical score.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP