So I'm a sucker for baritones: Gordon MacRae as Curly

>> Saturday, November 29, 2008


Being from Oklahoma, I'm just a bit partial to the Rogers & Hammerstein musical Oklahoma!. And my favorite "Curly" has always been, (and probably always will be), Gordon MacRae. With those silky-smooth portamenti, and that Hollywood Okie twang, he makes me melt every time. When I starred in a stage production of Oklahoma!, years ago, as "Laurie", I was sorely disappointed that my "Curly" couldn't live up to my standards, set by Gordon MacRae. (Poor guy. But then, I probably didn't measure up to Shirley Jones either!)

Featured here in one of my favorite scenes from Rogers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma! are Gordon MacRae, Shirley Jones, and the incomparable Charlotte Greenwood as "Aunt Eller".


4 comments:

Kay Dennison November 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

I love everything Rogers & Hammerstein ever did! And Gordon McCrae played Curley wonderfully! My lil' sister and I learned the lyrics to all the songs! They don't make music like that anymore. You've got me sitting here singing "Oklahoma!" and "Surrey with the Fringe on Top"! Funny how I still remember the words but I can't remember what I did last week! LOL Thanks!! Bet you liked him in "Carousel", too!

Lynette November 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Loved him in "Carousel"! In fact, I have a couple of clips of him in it just waiting their turn! :)

Elizabeth November 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

Yes, Oklahoma rules.
I know every single word of every song.
I was lucky enough to go to South Pacific in NY this summer.
R&H were so stunningly talented.

Elizabeth November 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP