The Banshee

>> Wednesday, October 29, 2008


In Disney's 1959 classic, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, based on the book by Herminie Templeton Kavanagh, we are treated to the ancient celtic female spirit called the Banshee, (ban-SHE). Celtic legends of this wailing female ghost vary from region to region. In this particular film the Banshee is a grim reaper type figure who comes to steal the soul of one who is very ill or very old and dying. In other legends she is the ghost of a woman who died in child birth. Her wails are the cries of the birth pangs. As she wanders the earth confused, she is looking for her baby and in its stead, she steals the souls of newborn infants.

I only remember that when I saw this movie for the first time as a child the only thing I took away from it were nightmare producing memories of the Banshee!


2 comments:

Tess Kincaid October 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

This movie is adorable! I got it on DVD for WT last Christmas and we all watched it. Albert Sharpe is just too charming and the young Sean Connery isn't too shabby, either!

I actually saw this for the first time at the movie theater when I was three. The Banshee scared the bejesus out of me!

Kay Dennison October 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

I loved this movie! I wish I had a copy of it!

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP