Ghostly organ music and bleeding portraits

>> Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Who else could it be but Don Knots in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken? I first saw it when I was a child of around eight. Every summer The Leachman Theatre along with the Kiwanis Club sponsored a "Kids Day" where we were all given a free pass to see a selected film and all the free popcorn we could stuff into our grubby, little cheeks. It so happened that Mr. Chicken was the one selected for the summer of 1968. Needless to say, I had nightmares for a week afterwards. Still it ranks up there as one of my favorite Don Knots comedies, and this scene, of course is a classic. Who could forget the cobwebs and the blood stained organ keys? And they used Bon Ami! And of course, the portrait of the young Mrs. Simmons with garden sheers stuck in her throat, bleeding! I'll never get over it as long as I live!

Carro, carro, Saloman!


5 comments:

Tess Kincaid October 22, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

My sister, Betsy, was just mentioning how much this movie frightened the bejesus out of her after she first saw it at about age ten! Don Knots it sooo great. My favorite is his nervous speech. Let me clarify this...

Lynette October 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM  

"That electrician must be a Democrat!"

Betsy Brock October 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Hi! My sis Willow sent me for your post! I had nightmares, too, after watching it as a child! And I'd forgotten about the Bon Ami~ I must take a trip down memory lane! :)

Lynette October 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Welcome Betsy! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Kay Dennison October 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM  

I was 21 and far too sophisticated to watch that but I took my lil' brothr see it anyway and watched his eyes bug out. LOL

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP