W. the movie

>> Monday, October 20, 2008


It's not what I expected. I had the impressions from the T.V. trailers that this film was going to be a comedy, but knowing that it was an Oliver Stone picture, I should have known better.

I want a fair, true portrait of the man. How did Bush go from an alcoholic bum to the most powerful figure in the world? It's like Frank Capra territory on one hand, but I'll also cover the demons in his private life, his bouts with his dad and his conversion to Christianity, which explains a lot of where he is coming from. It includes his belief that God personally chose him to be President of the United States, and his coming into his own with the stunning, preemptive attack on Iraq. It will contain surprises for Bush supporters and his detractors. -Oliver Stone


I'm not going to write a spoiler review for this film, as I know that there are many of you who will read this who have not yet seen it and plan on doing so. I will say, however, to be prepared to have some of your preconceived notions regarding G.W. Bush challenged, and even if you're not one of his most ardent fans, be prepared to deal with moments of empathy towards him. I wanted to walk out of this film hating him more. Instead I found myself digging deeper to understand him.

There are some great performances. It probably goes without saying that Richard Dryfus as Dick Cheney is phenomenal. In fact, Cheney is the only character in the film who I ended up hating more afterwards. And Toby Jones gives a chilling performance as the cynical and calculating Karl Rove. Thandie Newton's Condolezza Rice is dead on, and if you can get past hearing James Cromwell as the old sheep farmer uttering the line, "that'll do, pig", you'll appreciate his cool portrayal as George H.W. Bush. And of course, Josh Brolin is W., plain and simple. It's as if he channeled the man.

No official word yet, from the White House in regards to the film. I don't suspect that we will get one. But I found it interesting that Stone only covered the George Jr. presidency through the end of his first term in office. Perhaps Stone is leaving the rest for you to figure out.


4 comments:

Kathy Handyside October 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM  

I plan on seeing it tomorrow but I don't see right now, not having seen it, how I could end up feeling any empathy toward this man. He has been so evil for so long. Still, I'll wait until I see it and then see how I feel and what I think. At any rate, it should be interesting.

I agree with Steph, though - I just want Bush to go the hell away. He has ruined too much of life for too many people here and abroad.

Lynette October 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

Empathy is simply understanding. After seeing this film, it gave me some insights into the man that helped me to understand him better--made it easier to figure out what makes him tick and why he is the way he is. I still came out of the film with the same opinions about him, just a little more educated as to why he is the way he is.

Kathy Handyside October 21, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

Now I understand - thanks, Nettl. It should be an interesting film. When I first heard about it, I was worried that it was going to be something making him into a hero. But as a character study, it should be informative. Looks like I'll have to wait until later this week to see it - I have a ton of homework to do today, tomorrow and Thursday.

JPDeni October 22, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

We're likely to wait until it comes to cable before we see it, but I'm interested in your review. I've never thought that W. was an evil man (unlike my thoughts about Cheney and Rove) and it would appear that is borne out in the film.

Share


Click to view my Personality Profile page

  Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP